From The Galley Slaves
For a quick and easy bite to eat
Thai Prawn Curry – a quick and easy version!
This takes about 20mins and is great for when you are in a port selling prawns! Although fresh ingredients are always nicer this recipe can be easily adapted using store cupboard jars.
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 teasp grated ginger (or the ready grated ginger in a jar which is good on the boat for longer voyages)
- 1-2 teasp Thai red curry paste to your taste (some are stronger than others)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 Sachet creamed coconut (approx 50g)
- 400g raw prawns or frozen raw prawns defrosted
- 1 teasp lemon or lime juice (fresh or bottled) and tomato puree to taste
- Chopped coriander (again I use a jar of chopped coriander or the concentrate on the boat)
1. Cook onion and ginger in a little oil until softened/cooked
2. Stir in curry paste, cook for a min.
3. Add tomatoes and coconut cream.
4. Season/taste with lemon or lime juice and tomato puree.
5. Bring to boil and simmer for 5-10 mins, add a little water if it gets too thick.
6. Tip in prawns and cook for 5-10 mins depending on how big they are. (Don’t over do them as they go rubbery!)
7. Add chopped coriander
8. Serve with rice.