From The Galley Slaves
For a quick and easy bite to eat
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 red pepper (optional)
- 1 tin (420gr) green lentils
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin kidney beans
- 1 tsp chilli (powder or from a jar)
- Half a tsp grated ginger (fresh or from a jar/ powder)
- Half a tsp cumin
- Half a tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 stock vegetable cube
- Sugar to taste (or even better treacle or a square of chocolate)
1. Fry onion, pepper (if using) in a little oil for ten mins or so till soft.
2. Add spices and stir for a couple of mins. Add the tinned tomatoes, garlic and tomato puree, stock cube.
3. Drain the lentils and beans and add, reserving the liquid.
4. Simmer for ten mins adding the reserved liquid if necessary.
5. Season with Salt and Pepper and sugar/chocolate
Serve with rice.
Recipe supplied by Ruth Forsyth.